Meet Jennie! Jennie Wison is a Licenced Professional Counselor, and a child therapist with Step By Step Counseling. She enjoys working with ages 3-15 and their caregivers.
Jennie has completed TAC (Training for Adoption Competency) – a 12 month, 72-hour evidence-based program that helps provide competent services for all 3 sides of the adoption triad whether you are coming to her from the perspective of the biological family member, the adoptive parents, or the adoptee. She views working within the adoption triad as an honor.
Jennie is fascinated with how the brain works and how the body and nervous system reacts to day-to-day experiences. She draws from the neuroscience and polyvagal framework and applies it to her therapeutic process. She believes in neuroplasticity, or the brain’s ability to form new neural connections and heal from traumas, learn new skills, and make positive changes. When working with clients she firmly believes that they are capable of feeling better. She is passionate about the concept of growth mindset!
Jennie enjoys running groups in the office. She currently runs a parent group, the pre-school play therapy group, and elementary groups. She welcomes office practicum and internship students to co-facilitate groups because she strongly believes in the process.
A few areas of interest are:
- Adoption or Guardianship Attachment (International, Domestic or Fostercare)
- Anxiety / Depression
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum (ASD)
- Sensory Integration
- Behavioral & Emotional Concerns
- Mood and Emotional Regulation
Noteworthy: Jennie created the Parent Hub to help support parents, guardians, and caregivers.
- Bachelors of Arts in Psychology with a Minor in Human Development and Family Studies from University of Missouri – Columbia
- Masters of Arts in Professional and School Counseling from Lindenwood University
- Post graduate certification in Play Therapy from Mid America Nazerine
Certifications & Credentials
- National Certified Counselor
- Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor
- EMDR Certified
- Safe and Sound Protocol Certified
- Brainspotting Practioner Phase 1, 2, adoption constellation and brain spotting with children & adolescents
- TAC trained (Training for Adoption Competency)
- Theraplay trained
- TF-CBT trained
- Autplay Certified
- Currently enrolled in an 18-month program to be rostered in Child-Parent Psychotherapy. CPP is an evidence-based program designed to support clients ages 2-6 who have experienced trauma, and their families.
- Continuing education: interpersonal neurobiology, polyvagal theory, sand tray therapy, TBRI, mindfulness, and parenting.
Articles or blogposts written by therapist
Fees & Payment Information
- Intake: 135/session
- Traditional counseling hour, 40-45 minute session: 115/session
- Parent Coaching: $115 for 45 minutes or $135 for 60 minutes (Not covered by insurance)
- SSP: $775 for the protocol (Intake + CORE 5 hours) (Not covered by insurance)
- RPTs Consultation for RPT or SB-RPT credential $85/hr, 35 hrs are needed
- $45 for group consultation
- LPC Licensure supervision – 65/week
- Business coaching $125/hr — provided in 2 hr blocks, $250/blocked time.
- In network with some commercial insurance plans
- In network with some Medicaid plans
Availability and Location
- 7:30-4:00 (Monday-Friday) for individual appointments, she prefers weekly or every other week committment from clients and their families
- Late afternoon and Saturday mornings for groups
- Saint Charles office
Get to know Jennie!
Outside of the office Jennie enjoys spending time with her husband and children. Jennie is a licensed foster parent in the state of Missouri and enjoys connecting with the foster & adoptive community in our state. Many families report they run into her at the park, community events, and city sporting events. While she didn’t inherit a green thumb from her grandfather, she carries on the tradition of gardening and enjoys planting veggies and flowers each spring with her children, she loves to share what she has grown each summer.
In 2021 Jennie has been invited to be a part of ILS/Unyte‘s social impact team. Jennie, is currently working on a project combining SSP & children who have been impacted by the foster care system.
Work with Jennie!
Jennie can be described as high energy and knowledgeable. Clients can expect for sessions to start on time, end on time and always have a safe space to address concerns that they might have. unconditional positive regard, support and a healthy line of communication. Her client’s parents have reported that she is welcoming and professional. as well as honest with her feedback. Many of her clients appreciate her generosity in lending out books or resources she has in her office. They have also appreciated that she will accept the request for a parent session anytime that it’s requested. If you are interested in working with her, please call 636-255-0002 or schedule through our online form.