Pay it Forward: A Mental Health Initiative
In a world where mental health issues are on the rise, it’s more important than ever to support each other and make mental health services accessible to all. A counseling or mental health practice can play a big role in this by starting a pay-it-forward initiative. We hope that this can become a powerful way to help people in need and build a supportive community.
Good Deeds Dominoes
There’s a concept that someone would perform random acts of kindness and pass them on to others. The concept is based on the idea that one small good deed can trigger a chain reaction of kindness, much like the way a simple push can start a domino chain reaction. Individuals are encouraged to perform a good deed for someone and then pass on the challenge to others, creating a ripple effect of positivity and generosity. Good Deeds Dominoes can be performed by individuals, families, organizations, and communities, and can range from small acts such as holding the door open for someone to larger acts such as volunteering at a local charity. The initiative is a simple and fun way to spread kindness and make a positive impact on the world. In the case of a mental health counseling practice, this could mean offering a free session to someone in need or supporting an organization like Love Will Foundation that subsidizes mental health services for someone else who may not be able to afford it.
The impact of providing free counseling sessions can be far-reaching and transformative. By offering free counseling sessions, individuals who may not have been able to afford it otherwise can access the mental health support they need. This can have a positive impact on their overall well-being and can help them lead happier healthier lives. Furthermore, by receiving counseling, these individuals may be more likely to pay it forward and support others in need, creating a cycle of kindness and generosity. The ripple effect can also extend to families and communities, as individuals who receive counseling are better equipped to handle life’s challenges and can offer support to those around them. Providing free counseling sessions can ultimately lead to a healthier, more connected, and more resilient community.
Why is this Important in Mental Health?
Mental health is an essential part of overall wellness, but many people are unable to access counseling services because of financial barriers. A pay it forward initiative can help break down these financial barriers and make mental health services more accessible. It can also help reduce the stigma surrounding mental health by promoting the idea that seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
How to help
- A gift of $200 will pay for 1 month of group sessions for a member of the community
- A gift of $160 will pay for 1 month of sessions for a member of the community to see a stepping stones therapist
- A gift of $380 will pay for 1 month of sessions for a member of the community to see a provisional / sliding scale therapist
1 month = 4 weeks
- Can choose to partner with our office to utilize one of the options similar to those under the individual option
- Can choose to partner with our office to donate x amt of funds per month (example: Scholarship fund of $500 or $1000)
- Can choose to partner with our office to donate sessions for x amount of clients per month (Example: 3 clients)
- Choose one of the options from the individual options
- Choose one of the options from the non-profit options
- Choose to match funds from one of the nonprofit options
- Choose to start a scholarship fund for a particular presenting concern or diagnosis (example: suicide prevention, autism, foster families, families who have more than one service in the office, etc)
- Donate used toys for therapists to share with their families who are less fortunate
- Sponsor a clinician in an upcoming training
- Ideas are limitless!