As we mentioned in the previous post, today is National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day. Lets assume that you’re a rockstar awesome parent, and you’re still struggling…or your child is struggling. Sometimes, the hardest thing for parents to do is reach out for help. How do you know when to seek help? Some circumstances to look for:
- Long periods of sadness or being with drawn. Not wanting to participate in activities.
- Inability to express anger or other emotionally charged feelings.
- Temper tantrums, or getting angry too often or too easily.
- Difficulty coping with a major life event, such as family problems, divorce, recent move or natural disaster.
- Clinginess or shyness
- Somatic complaints (stomachaches, headaches, etc), with out apparent origin.
Many children exhibit the above behaviors at times, but if the issue worsens or becomes out of control, your child may need extra help. Extra help starts with a phone call!