Hours and Fees
Hours are by appointment only due to each of our therapists having their own unique schedule. Our office provides early morning, day and evening appointments to accommodate our clients’ schedules. Upon scheduling an intake session with a clinician, inquire about their general availability to determine if that specific therapist is a good fit for you since each clinician controls their own schedule. It’s recommended that clients are flexible with our therapists to ensure we can get you in sooner!
For groups, many of our child/adolescent groups are on Saturdays.
Please see section to the right about using your insurance. Please read it all the way through. It is the client’s responsibility to know their own insurance benefits and to be responsible for the amount that their insurance company does not pay due to deductibles, copay or co-insurance.
For LPC and LCSWs, session fee is $100 for individual counseling sessions and $125 for family counseling sessions. New Client Intake appointments are $125-150. Some LPCs and LCSWs offer a sliding scale for those who are in need. Please ask about this option when scheduling your intake appointment.
For PLPCs (Provisional Therapists) the fees are slightly lower. Their fee for individual counseling session or family counseling session is $75/session. All of our PLPCs offer a sliding scale – fees that range from $40-$75 depending on household income. Please speak to the individual therapist to coordinate your session fees, they will review our sliding scale chart with you.
Client’s session fee, is due at the time of service. Step by Step Counseling, LLC accepts cash, check or credit cards for session payments. Credit cards are run through our EHR, and clients have the option to be e-mailed receipts upon request. Many of our clients choose to use their FSA (Flexible Spending Accounts) or HSA (Health Spending Accounts) to pay for counseling. Our office is equipped to accept this type of payment through our EHR. If clients want to use this option, they should discuss this with their therapist. Depending on what the client may need for their own records (Or for third party reimbursement), a receipt (superbill) for Out of Network payments and appointment dates can be given monthly, or quarterly. New clients should speak to their therapist to discuss their preferences.
Clients can also opt to have a 3rd party pay for their counseling services. This includes their employer, a private agency, church, family member, etc. Once we have a release of information, the office can work with the 3rd party to ensure that payment is timely. Please have that 3rd party contact our office to set up billing and payment once a release of information has been completed. This is a very common option!
Graduate Level Interns (Stepping Stones Program)
The fee for a stepping stones session is $25 for individual, family or marriage/couples counseling. Many clients choose this option if they don’t have insurance, or they can’t afford to use their insurance. Others choose this option because they are on a limited budget. Everyone qualifies and anyone can use this option for counseling. There is not a cap or a limit in the number of sessions a client can use. Clients can see an intern twice a week, once a week, once every other week, etc. In the first session, the client and stepping stones therapist will determine the frequency of appointments.
If interested in this option please contact our main number, 636-255-0002 and specifically ask about the graduate interns and their availability. Limited slots available, please mention this when scheduling your first appointment.
Client must cancel or reschedule their appointment 24 hours ahead of the scheduled appointment time, or the client is charged. The client’s credit card (or check) on file will be charged (cashed). Example: If the appointment is at 4pm on Wednesday, one would need to call at 4pm on Tuesday to avoid being charged. [/one_half]
Managed Care/ Using your Insurance
If choosing to use your insurance, please contact the insurance company to find out if we are a provider on your specific plan, with in your specific insurance company. (You will need to give them the provider’s name, NOT the counseling practice itself). While our office as a whole tries to cover many insurance companies – not all clinicians are on all plans.
Questions to ask your insurance company in regards to your benefits:
- Do I have in network mental health benefits?
- What are they?
- How do I get an authorization?
- How many sessions will I be approved of.
- What is the coverage per session
- Before deductible is met
- After deductible is met
- What do I need to do to obtain reimbursement??
- Do I have Out of Network mental health benefits?
- What are they?
- What is the coverage per session
- Before Deductible is met
- After Deductible is met
- What is my annual deductible?
- What is my deductible balance
- Do I have a general medical deductible or do I have a separate one for mental health?
At Step by Step Counseling, LLC, it is the client’s duty to call and check their benefits before the first session. If a client has not done so, they will be responsible for the full fee at the first session. At times, clients might have a 3rd party help pay for co-insurance, co-pay or high deductible. While this may be possible, this must be arranged in advance and can include: A private agency, their place of worship, etc.
If a client chooses to use their insurance and the therapist is not paneled with that specific plan, the client’s therapist will expect full payment upfront and will provide the client with a receipt or superbill (Monthly or Quarterly) for the client to submit to their insurance company on their own. The client is responsible for seeking reimbursement from the insurance company. Our clients are very successful in obtaining this reimbursement.
Reasons for NOT using insurance:
Some clients choose not to use their insurance for a wide range of reasons. Some popular reasons are:
- Insurance companies REQUIRE a diagnosis in order to pay for your session. What we find is that not everyone who comes to counseling has a diagnosis. Some are just struggling in relationships, in their jobs or working through grief.
- The diagnosis that is given, will REMAIN on the client’s permanent health record. This diagnosis will follow the client in school, military, landing federal jobs, security clearances, applying for life insurance, etc.
- Insurance companies can REQUEST the clients’ session notes at any point in time (by using your insurance you waive confidentiality) and many clients feel uncomfortable with this.
- Insurance companies DECIDE what type of treatment they will cover, what type of treatment they will not. Example: Many companies will not cover couples counseling, or will not cover specific diagnosis.
- Insurance companies can LIMIT the number of sessions that a client can have.
- The provider a client wants to see is not PANELED with their insurance company, or perhaps is paneled with their insurance company but not your specific plan.
- Insurance company copay or deductible is too high; therefore client may opt to utilize our internship program.
Similar to the traditional EAP, however more personalized to the company the client comes from. Client must see their employer for more information. Typically employers pay some or all costs involved. If you are a small business and would like to coordinate Positive Directions sessions for your employees or staff please contact our office and we would be more than happy to set one up for you. We offer various options for small businesses!